Since my blog is new, I can’t really reflect on my favorite posts of 2011. Instead I’m going to steal an idea that I read from Katie’s blog.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you had never done before?
Involuntarily, I had my first broken bone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I have no idea what my new year’s resolutions were but I’m guessing it had to do with losing weight and saving money. Both didn’t really happen but I would argue that it was circumstantial. For example, in April I signed up to do a fitness boot camp and on the first night of my class, I brought my dog for a walk before I went. Maddie saw a friend of hers before I did and took off running. Her leash had been wrapped around my hand in such a way that the ring finger on my right hand got broken. This resulted in $$ down the drain for medical bills and after about 2 classes I had to quit the boot camp because the pain was too much.
This year, my resolution is to simply make better choices.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no. The year actually was very good to those around me. No major health issues.
5. What countries did you visit?
Um, none. I did take an amazing trip to San Antonio though.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A house and if it’s not too much to ask – balance free credit cards. I realize this is a double standard because the two goals usually go hand in hand. Mostly, a house. Living in an apartment is way overrated.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hmmm, no specific dates. This will be known as the year we moved across the country twice (in 5 months.)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not being committed to a mental institution. Seriously. This was the most stressful year of my life, I’m pretty proud that I survived it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Continuing to live in debt.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
As previously mentioned,
I Maddie broke my finger. I also had a strong worry that I had a blood clot in my leg and got it checked out. Turns out that I had a Baker’s Cyst behind my left knee. It was quite painful for a few weeks but it’s feeling good right now.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’m over the moon about my new Ikea couch. It’s pretty. My chaise is on the other side though.
12. Where did most of your money go?
I would guess food. J and I are terrible at planning meals and we both hate leftovers. We waste a lot of money eating out and throwing away food. Since we’ve moved back to NC, Jeff eats at home for lunch which helps out a lot. I started out bringing lunch to work but have been buying it there which I need to stop doing. Eating habits seem to be a perpetual problem for us.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Moving back to NC.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
“Moves like Jagger” or rather the 99 WMYX version “Moves Like Rodgers” I can’t stand the Packers but it sure is a catchy song.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
-happier or sadder? – I’m not very good at remembering stuff like this. I have no idea how I felt last year. I’m betting that I’m happier because J and I are in a really good place in our relationship and are excited to begin our lives (again) in NC.
-thinner or fatter? – Sigh…fatter.
-richer or poorer? – I would say about the same, poorer if anything.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Compared myself to others.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I had to work on Christmas Eve evening which was devastating to me. As a kid, Christmas Eve was when the celebrating occured. Christmas Day was wonderful though. J and I went to our friends house and had a wonderful time and ate amazing food.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, New Girl, Top Chef, almost everything on HGTV – clearly I watch too much tv.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Night Circus really stands out for me. I absolutely loved that book and still think about it.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I got back into Country music over the summer and went to a lot of fun concerts. The Blake Shelton CD was a favorite for awhile. The year ended with the Breaking Dawn soundtrack.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Breaking Dawn Part I, obviously. I can’t even think of anything else that I saw…Oh, I did really like Red Riding Hood. That’s been on repeat on the movie channels for the past month. I promise it has nothing to do with the fact that Charlie from Twilight is in it.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My husband surprised me with a trip to San Antonio for my 30th birthday weekend. Not sure what I did on the actual day aside from working. Oh yeah, we went to dinner with the Joey, Kristen & the boys at New South Diner. Yum – too bad that restaurant didn’t survive.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Ha. That’s a good one. I would have to say yoga pants were my staple. I long to have fashion sense.
26. What kept you sane?
My husband and my friends were a huge support to me. They are such great listeners, I really wouldn’t have made it without them.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
You have to try a scenario before you’ll really know how it’s going to go. Obsessively hypothesizing doesn’t do any good. Even if it’s scary, you might as well do it and get it over with.
Here’s to a great 2012!!